Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Ten things I believe in


1.  I believe in LOVE. Not that cheesy "I'm so in love with him" kind of love. Love in its basic, raw form.  Love is complicated and simple at the same time.  It's not all flowers and hearts. Love can be scary and hurtful. Love can change your life. Love fills our world with color.  To be loved and to love others is essential to our survival.  Think about what you love, hopefully you love yourself, you love places, smells, foods, activities, music, the arts. We love to love! It is fulfilling and comforting, it promotes growth.

2.  I believe in SISTERHOOD. Those women who feel that their man is all they need, are truly missing out. I love my husband fiercely and feel more complete with him by my side, but I would still not be complete without sisterhood. There is the irreplaceable unspoken (and spoken) understanding of being a woman, of feeling, and knowing.  We understand one another (with the exception of those crazy bitches scattered about), we love one another, and we help one another.  There is a support from one woman to another that is undeniably a natural treasure. I can't stress enough, that if you only rely on the man in your life for friendship and support, you ARE missing out, and I hope you experience true sisterhood in your years on earth.

3.  I believe in INSTINCT. It has never steered me wrong. My only regret with instinct is not trusting it. Even if the outcome doesn't match up exactly, there is a rhyme and reason to be had. Trust the gut people!

4.  I believe in MUSIC. Music sets the tone for my whole day. It used to be that getting the kids ready for school and out the door was a frantic and negative ordeal. I started listening to music while I had my coffee in the early hours while I was still alone. I made a point to have music playing when they came downstairs to eat. Then the music continues in the car ride to school. I no longer am bothered by the idiot drivers (to a point). We have a happy drive to school. We sing, dance, and laugh. It's a much better start to the day than arguing, yelling, and crying. Music feeds the soul.

5.  I believe in LIMITS AND BOUNDARIES. There came a point when I realized my limits and boundaries were not clear, because I had not made them that way.  I personally had limits and boundaries and usually felt pretty under control, it was the limits and boundaries set for others I was no good at.  The nice girl syndrome is a bitch! I came to realize it was my own fault that I felt taken advantage of, or felt pressured into things.  All I had to do was set limits and boundaries!  I needed to say no when I felt like saying no, and then quit worrying about it all together.  I needed to let people know when they have crossed a line or that I was at my limit, seemed scary, but was pretty simplistic once you just do it.  The biggest part of limits and boundaries for me was ditching the feelings of obligation.  I am not obligated to do a damn thing!  OK, the main stuff, take care of my children and myself, be a decent human being, and so on, but I am not obligated to anything or anyone.  I had to tell myself this, repeatedly. 

6. I believe in FORGIVENESS.  Now, I'm not saying to forgive every selfish asshole you does you wrong, there are limits and boundaries (see #5), but forgiveness is cleansing.  One thing is for sure, during your time as an earth walker, you are going to get hurt, angry, betrayed, scammed, and scarred.  Who can hold on to all of that and enjoy the beauty of everything else?  You got to let go man!  Sometimes, people deserve more than one chance, but not a lifetime of them.  Evaluate.  In the scale of life, was this a big thing?  Was this something you could never overlook?  Was this something that changed your relationship with this person into one that doesn't need to go on? Sometimes that answer should be yes, but many times, it's a no.  It's a balancing act that is hard to pull off, being forgiving without being a doormat, but it's worth the effort.  When you can forgive the small stuff, your dropping baggage off of your shoulders.  Doesn't that feel lighter?  Life can be heavy enough without unnecessary luggage to tote around.  I do not ever feel obligated to forget (and I won't), but I do try to forgive whenever I can.

7.  I believe in QUIET.  There is nothing more relaxing than some good old fashioned quiet.  I know there are some of you who dislike being alone.  I get that.  You are people persons who get bored in the quiet, you would rather share the quiet with someone else, I get it, I really do. I'm telling you though, try it!  Things happen to you in the quiet (maybe that is what you are scared of, or you just get incredibly bored). You are left alone with your thoughts.  Your thoughts turn into just....YOU.  It is relaxing, it is personal, and it is enlightening.  Try it!  Embrace it! It's So good for you!

8.  I believe in WORDS.  Not everyone is a fan of writing or reading, but everyone loves some good words.  All those little posts shared on social media with clever sayings, funny sayings, thoughtful quotes, we love them! We share them and we want people to know that we love them.  Words, written or spoken evoke emotion.  I can think of several times, someone saying words to me that came as a great comfort.  I can think of many things I've read that came as a better understanding.  I've read things that made me laugh, smile, cry.  Words also have the power to bring you down. Words can break  your heart.  Words could cause you to ask for forgiveness!  Words can help set limits and boundaries! Words create music, words are exchanged in sisterhood and love.  Words are thought about in the quiet!  Words can come without sound.  A look on a face suggests words.  An embrace is full of words. Words are everything.

9.  I believe in CHANGE.  Change is always change, but it is never the same.  You can count on change, it will always be there.  You can predict change and you can be surprised by change.  It is a constant evolution, but it is steadily knocking on your door.  I welcome change whenever possible.  Change does not always mean easy or happy.  Change can come with struggle and resistance, but it is part of what makes up everything we know.  The universe changes, the earth changes, the weather changes, trends change, money changes, people change, our way of life changes, relationships change, seasons change, feelings change, we change ourselves.  It's good shit! Change shit up, you may like it.

10.  I believe in MYSELF.  With out it coming from ego or pride, I fully believe in myself.  Who better to believe in than yourself?  I know who I am in the quiet, and I know my limits.  I can forgive when I believe it to be right, and more importantly, I can forgive myself.  I can love things and be loved.  I can love a fierce love. I can be supportive in sisterhood and I can love a fierce love. If I believe in myself I can make things happen. I can set goals and push myself.  I can trust myself.  I can be who I am, always.

What are ten things YOU believe in?
 

1 comment:

  1. You've motivated me to think about writing that list for myself. I already have the first few in mind: 1. I believe in Jesus Christ-He is Love divine. 2. I believe, I know we can experience that real love from Him 3. I believe in children-their innocence, their beauty, their joy-and their need to be loved and nurtured always. Hopefully I'll finish my list in the near future. Thanks, Tina-quest2write.com

    ReplyDelete