Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Recipe Share - Rotisserie Chicken Stock

You know you love those store bought rotisserie chickens. They taste perfectly delicious and you don't have to do a thing. Okay so it's not organic and I don't roast the chicken myself, but I do have some kick ass chicken broth to use in another recipe for tomorrow's dinner and I got to skip a whole step!

This was an eye-ball recipe. I didn't measure anything, just dumped it all in to see what it would create.

I started by getting all the meat off of the rotisserie chicken that I could. We had it for dinner with some white cheddar pasta and veggies.  

I put the rest of the chicken (bones, skin, everything!) in a large pot, the taller the better. 

I cut up 4 carrots, 4 celery stalks, and a half an onion into med/large chunks.

I filled the chicken and veggie filled pot with water about 2 inches from the top. 



Heat on HIGH to get it boiling.  I added herbs that I had on hand. Three Bay Leaves, Basil, Oregano, 20-25 peppercorns, Garlic Powder, and Ground Turmeric. The turmeric gives it a nice color, a peppery taste, and offers several health benefits. Read about that here ➡️ http://www.healthyandnaturalworld.com/the-amazing-health-benefits-of-turmeric/

I would say about a teaspoon of each, but more like 2 teaspoons of salt. 


Once it was rolling I lowered it to about med-high. I have a lid on, but tilted to let some steam out.

It boiled for about an hour, maybe more. I taste tested it along the way until it had a full flavor.

Time to strain! 
I poured it through a strainer and discarded everything other than liquid.

I ended up with 10 cups of broth!!!


Yes, that is an old baby burp cloth. I use those and my old receiving blankets for extra kitchen towels. They work great!

It really is not thick, it just has a rich color from the turmeric.

I plan to use some in a white bean stew tomorrow and then freeze the rest.

It's much tastier than canned or boxed broth and I'm looking forward to using it!

Thanks for reading!



No comments:

Post a Comment