Saturday, January 11, 2014

Biscuits and Gravy - Freezer Style

We all have that one meal that the whole family loves. For us it's Biscuits and Gravy. It goes back a few generations on my dad's side of the family in Missouri. I started making gravy a few years back and the kids LOVE it. There is something about steamy biscuits smothered in creamy, peppery gravy that make your worries disappear. Its like a big hug. It's the ultimate comfort food (besides potatoes of course).

I usually use the convenient biscuits we all know and love in the tube. I've been wanting to get those out of our lives as I'm trying to stick to as much whole foods as I can, but who wants to make biscuits AND gravy from scratch at the same time! It just sounds like a lot of work!

I found a recipe on Pinterest  http://www.favoritefreezerfoods.com/homemade-biscuits.html to make biscuits to freeze and tweaked it slightly for what ingredients I had on hand. So today I made 3 batches of biscuits, (which was way easier than I thought) that can go from freezer to oven!


I also froze some of the gravy in tiny cups so the kids can have a quick biscuit and gravy breakfast for school days.


I've made pancakes and French toast sticks to freeze before too. Super convenient without the processed garbage and artificial flavors.

Here is how I made the biscuits...

2 c flour
1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
12 teaspoon salt
1 stick (1/2 cup) softened butter
3/4 c milk

Mix dry ingredients together.

Add butter and mix together using a fork.  It will become crumbly, keep smashing and mixing until it is fully incorporated into the dry mixture.

Add milk and stir until you have a nice ball of dough.

On a lightly floured surface, kneed ball a few times and roll out with a rolling pin. 
Mine was a less than a 1/2 inch thick.

Cut your circles out (I used a jar lid).

Place your biscuits on parchment paper on a cookie sheet, not touching each other. Place in freezer for at least an hour so that they freeze individually.

Once they feel solid, move them to a freezer bag.

Don't forget to wrote the date!  They are good for 6 months. Also wrote a reminder:  Thawed- bake at 450 for 8-10 minutes. Frozen- bake at 450 for 12-15 minutes.

Easy peasy!



On to the gravy baby!!!

I've made it a few ways, today I used turkey sausage. I usually use regular breakfast sausage, and ocassionally I had used half sausage and half ground beef for a more dinner-ish taste. It's a very simplistic gravy recipe.

I don't use measurements for the gravy so bear with me.

1 pound ground sausage
2-3 heaping spoons of flour
Milk (maybe half a gallon)
Black pepper
Salt
Red pepper 

Brown sausage in a large pot over med-high heat, breaking into small pieces, do NOT drain!

Add 2-3 large spoonfuls of flour, stirring to allow the flour to absorb the grease. Feel free to add more flour until absorbed.

Add milk. This is where your preference comes into play. The less milk, the more meaty it will seem, the more milk, the more creamier and the more gravy it makes. I use LOTS of black pepper, a dash of salt, and an even smaller dash of red pepper.

Heat to a boil, stirring often to prevent milk from burning onto the bottom of the pan. 

It will start to thicken as it heats. Too thick? Add more milk. Too thin? Add more flour.

I like to double the recipe, and set half of it aside to cool. Then I pour into a freezer gallon bag and lay flat to freeze. 

That's it!

Enjoy!





4 comments:

  1. Great post! I never thought to freeze the gravy in individual cups. My husband will be extremely happy! Lol

    I think there's a typo in the biscuit recipe though. It says 12 teaspoons.. I'm assuming you meant 1/2 teaspoon. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please do not use 12 teaspoons of salt. That would almost bed like eating a sand-castle. 1/2 teaspoon would be good maybe a pinch more...

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, this sounds like something I would love to do, but trying to read it through the background is really annoying. It makes my eyes tired.....

    ReplyDelete