Sunday, January 19, 2014

Recipe Share - Red Wine Poached Pears, oh my!

First, let me tell you what a refreshing treat these little beauties are. The rich color turns something simple into fancy eye-candy.

I was the "Cupcake Fairy" for the month in our local MOMS Club. The birthday girl was eating healthy and competing in a weight loss competition. So the Pinterest search began for an exciting, healthy dessert to replace the cupcake. I was drawn to this pin : http://www.coffeeandquinoa.com/2012/12/spiced-red-wine-poached-pears/


Aren't they beautiful?!  

I made a few adjustments, as always.  Here is my version.

4 c cold water
Juice from 1 lemon
4 Anjou Pears (just my choice)
1 bottle of light red wine (I went with a $6 Cabernet)
1/2 c sugar
1 cinnamon stick (I actually used ground cinnamon, either will do)
Dash of nutmeg
Juice from 1 orange plus an inch of rind)
1 tsp vanilla extract

1. Put cold water in a large bowl and add the lemon juice, set aside.

2. Carefully peel the pears, leaving the stems intact. Cut the bottoms flat so that they can stand up. Place them in the lemon water to keep from turning brown.



3. Mix all remaining ingredients into a pot over Medium heat. I used a small pot that fit the 4 pears laying on their side.  Don't forget the orange rine! You could add anise, cloves, etc. 


3. Once your sauce is boiling at medium heat, carefully add your pears.  If they are not completely covered, turn them every 5 minutes or so. Simmer with a slightly tilted lid for 25 minutes. Add 5 minutes for pears that weren't very ripe.


Your house is going to smell like a hangover! It was a little much, but worth it!

4. Let the pot cool. Place cooled pot in the fridge (or switch to a container that saves you space). Let them sit for 3 hours to 3 days. I did mine overnight. 

5. Place your lovely looking pear on a beautiful plate of your choice. Heat 1/3 of the liquid to a boil and simmer until syrup-like. (Mine never became syrupy but was still delicious). Drizzle over your pretty pear!

I added a dollop of chocolate fudge. Goat cheese would have nice too.

Voila!!


No more hangover smell at this point, the cinnamon and orange come through and the pear is delicious! 

A nice gift, fancy dessert, or a just because snack. 

Enjoy!&

No comments:

Post a Comment