Saturday, December 14, 2013

This Chrstmas

The Christmas decorations are up and the tree is decorated!  Next year my goal is to have it done the first week of December, but does it really matter?  It's done!

This is the first year I have actually allowed my children to decorate our tree.  I'm that mean, control-freak mother that does every last ornament after they go to bed.  I had plenty of valid reasons for this. I didn't want ornaments broken, I didn't want the tree to look unorganized, I wanted everything a certain way, and I just liked having the responsibility for myself.  They will have their own tree someday, right?

This year, with some coaxing from my husband, I decided to make it a "thing" that we do together.  I have to say, it turned out great.  They kids loved it.  I got to tell them where certain ornaments came from, they worked together as a team, they were excited, and they were proud.  It was an enjoyable experience to have with them.  I did re-hang some of Drew's ornaments.  Hey, he's not quite 3 years old so there was a pile of ornaments on the bottom front of the tree, he didn't mind.  It is his job to turn the tree lights off every time we leave the house or go to bed, which he takes great pride in.  I don't regret loosening my anal retentive grip on the Christmas tree.

This will be our second year carrying on our new Christmas morning tradition.  After opening presents and making a fire in the fire place, I set the table extra fancy for the kids and make their favorite biscuits and gravy for breakfast with sparkling juice.  Each of them will have a letter on their table setting which they get to open one at a time and read aloud.  The letter will brag about all their accomplishments over the past year and great things they have done.  Then they get the spotlight to talk about what they want to accomplish next year.  They all seemed to love this last year and I can't to watch them read their letters again. 

This year I am looking forward to staying home all day, for the first time, ever.  No rushing through breakfast and family morning time, no rushing to be anywhere, no getting 5 kids dressed and ready to go, no arguing about what new toys they shouldn't take with them because we promise there will be more,  no driving, no packing up all the kids' gifts, no horrific anxiety on the ride home thinking about our Christmas car wreck  years prior.  Just home, playing with new toys, relaxing, and cooking a nice Christmas dinner in our own environment. 

I am a little stressed on how we are going to make Christmas actually happen this year, financially speaking, but we always figure it out and make it work somehow, so I'm actively trying to let that stress go too.  We usually don't go crazy with gifts.  The kids have learned that Christmas is a time for family and friends and love, plus some gifts ;-)  I'm lucky to have grateful children that can see other perks to the holidays besides gifts, although I wish I could do a little more for them in the gift department.  We do have a tree this year so we are already a step up from last year.

We are not a religious family, but that doesn't mean that Christmas is "commercial" to us either.  The holidays have special meaning, religious or not.  No matter what your beliefs are, I bet we can all agree that this time of year tends to open your heart a little more.  People give more, people use caring greetings more "Happy Holidays!" "Merry Christmas!".  People cherish the way everyone comes together.  Families gather, friends embrace, traditions are acted upon, and you tend to take a moment to think about the things you are thankful for.  You hug a little longer and a little tighter. 

Some people go to church, some gather with loved ones.  Some pray together, some share their loving words with one another.  It all boils down to love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment