Tuesday, December 17, 2013

The Giving Season

This is the time of year for giving.  I believe that all year is a good time for giving, but this time especially, people give.  I have come to realize, though, that there are a large portion of people who get more out of giving than others.  I think we can agree that giving brings forth a natural emotion of happiness, pride, and warmth.  I know that when I am able to "give" to someone who needs it, or even who could just use it, I feel great.

I am sure that these people who get more, have been around forever, but the rapid take over of social media in our society has made them very apparent.  They give.  They buy things to donate to a charity or person in need, and then brag about it on social media immediately, usually accompanied by a photo and some cheesy saying about how great it is to give.  I cannot tell you how much of this I have seen this month alone.  Are they really happy enough with just helping?  I would think that if giving was enough, they wouldn't have such a strong desire to make sure everyone knows about it.  I'm not saying it has to be a secret, but I find it comical and can't help but feel like the act of showing everyone is a bit more fulfilling than the act of giving.

I wouldn't feel this way if it were, say, a picture of  kids at their first volunteer experience, where they are being introduced to the act of giving.  It's exciting, it's a memory to share, and they are proud parents.  I'm sure as a human race, we all love to give.  In my opinion, it takes away from the selfless act of giving, when you publicly pat yourself on the back for it. 

I witness giving from truly selfless people all year long.  Giving can be the simplest of gestures, but mean a lot to the receiver.  It doesn't need to be in big proportion either.  A little get well package to a sick friend, a little card to let someone know you are thinking of them through a tough time, a phone call to check in, offering a ride, dropping off a meal to a sick or injured friend, sharing a bag of goodies after you've baked all day, passing down clothes to the next parent who can use them, the list goes on.  All these little things take thought and time, and they are appreciated, and giving like this makes you feel good.  It makes you feel good because you know that you have made someone else feel good.  So displaying your giving seems a little silly.  You might as well update your status to something like 'Look at the great things I do, I'm such a good person" and then add a few hashtags, #giver #lookatme #Imadechristmashappen 

For me it is along the same lines as one of my first blog posts, called "LML".  Most people use that term when they are bragging to the social world about a great thing in their life, whether it be family time, life events, or that they got a new juicer.  It's this silly illusion that their life is lovely at all times, they "Love their Life".  Most people love life, some take it for granted, and some live in the reality that there are some pretty kick ass times in life that you cherish a little more than the rest, and there are ALWAYS going to be difficult times, in marriage, in life, in parenthood, with family, with money, with friends, with decisions, and much more!  Of course we love life!  It's what we have!  Life!   I love MY life for the whole bowl, the good, the bad, the lovely, and the shitty, THAT is life, all of it. 

Are we even aware of what our real lives are anymore?  Or do we too, believe that life is according to what we post on social media?  Most of the folks guilty of only posting things that reflect how they want to be perceived, I'm guessing are the most unhappy.  Of course we aren't always going to post about negative things.  Some things are private (or should be) and you also don't want to be perceived as a complainer.  Shame on all of us for being so judgmental.  I cringe when I see a person comment to a post about something REAL in life, venting about the hardship they are dealing with.  Here is someone being real, about real life, not LML moments, and you have "friends" that will make them feel worse.  I have witnessed people respond by telling them advice that wasn't asked for, or talking about how well something works for them, or how they don't have those problems with THEIR children.  How about a simple "Like" to show you read it and thought of them, or a thoughtful comment, that doesn't have to do with YOURSELF!

I'm thinking our friends that make sure everyone knows they are giving and loving their life have no intention of any selfish behavior, of course not, but they are so self-absorbed that they would never realize how their boasting actually appears to others, it actually defeats their whole reason for posting.

We are all different creatures though, and we can all post whatever we want on our precious social media forums, just as I can rant about random irritants on a blog. 

Love your life my friends, all of it.  You can't have the sweet without the sour, and the sweet is much sweeter when you've brawled with the sour.  Admitting there is sour is a form or raw beauty that connects you to others, and THAT, my friends is something to love about life.

No comments:

Post a Comment