Sunday, January 1, 2012

Tree Hugger vs MotoMom

I'm feeling a bit torn here.  I have always thought of myself as being a little hippy.  Maybe a bit more than a little, but not a full fledged hippie.  I have very liberal feelings about the humanity and the world, I respect our planet, I love natural things, I dream of eating only raw foods, I try to be "green", I believe in happiness, yada yada.

I am now the owner of a dirt bike.  The dirty smoke blowing 2-stroke kind.  She is a beautiful bike, she intimidates me a bit, but we are getting to know each other.  My husband and kids all have bikes too.  It has become a great family sport.  We all go together and have a great time.  Everyone there is helpful and you see a ton of family's spending time together. 

So I'm at carnegie and I"m talking to fellow riders.  They are informing me about the "tree huggers" that are trying to close carnegie down.  I was initially I bit offended, as if I had just heard a racial slur, like I little slap on the face.  Not hard enough to leave a red mark, just a simple sissy slap, but still.  My husband of course cracks up, becomes he knows I'm this strange breed of motocross-tree hugger.  I think he actually digs it quite a bit.  Anyway, they are telling me why this large portion of the park is now off limits. The "tree huggers" sued, saying the bikes were contaminating the creek.  I get it, I do....but there is no water most of the time in the creek....I don't know, I just became very torn, so I went back to have a sit on the trailer to eat my organic whole wheat tortillas filled with veggies and beans to think about it. 

I don't have to choose, I can be both I suppose.  Motocross is a great family sport.  The kids absolutely love it.  This will keep them (in my opinion) involved in something for years to come.  It is something to say no to drugs and alcohol for.  It is something to keep working at to get better and better.  It can be competative if you want it to be, or just plain fun.

As I took my new bike for a spin I enjoyed how relaxing it felt (even with the loud bike in second gear blowing smoke all around) The wind was going right through me, the hills were around me, it was just me and the bike.  Peaceful and theraputic.

So, I am both.  I am a tree hugging motocross mom.  I make granola bars from scratch and shred down the road.

1 comment:

  1. A well-rounded tree hugger must know when it is okay to succomb to modern influences. I think it sounds like fun and you are an awesome mom!

    ReplyDelete