Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Matcha Protein Shake

For me and matcha, it was love at first taste. About 13 years ago I used to commute into work with my friend Donna (I love you Donna!). I have to say that the commute never felt like a "commute" with Donna. It was a beautiful, therapeutic, loving gab session on the way to work and on the way home. Our morning ritual consisted of stopping at a local coffee shop for a hot drink and a smoke before we hit the road. (Yes, I used to smoke) Anyway, back to matcha! I was in love with the Green Tea Latte with soy milk. Slowly but surely I noticed matcha popping up all over the place.

The last few years I've made some green tea lattes at home which is a great treat. I recently had a matcha smoothie at a coffee shop. DELICIOUS!! I never ordered one before because I tend to prefer hot drinks over icy cold. I went home and tried to recreate it, but it pretty much tasted like grass. I added some honey to sweeten it up which worked a little but it was nothing like the heavenly beverage I had at the shop. I froze it into popsicles for the kids. They could get about halfway through them before they got grossed out. 

The next day I went in and asked the lady what they use. It looks like the secret was a white chocolate powder. I was bummed because I get it with soy milk to make it dairy free and with the powder it for sure has dairy in it. I made another batch at home with some white hot chocolate powder. It was a hit, but I really didn't want that dairy, sugar, and other off the wall ingredients in my smoothie!

Ah ha!! I have that big tub of organic vanilla protein powder with greens! I had bought it from Costco and no one in the house liked it. I didn't even like it much but I was determined to find a way to enjoy it.

I love the vanilla protein powder and matcha together. I had about a 20 ounce shake this morning and I am not craving my morning coffee. I'm not saying I'm giving up coffee, I'm just saying lets see what happens. So here is the shake recipe that I'm digging hard core!

Matcha powder
Vanilla protein powder
Organic soy milk
Ice

All organic, all delicious.

Benson sat patiently waiting to see if I could come up with a decent matcha shake. Look at the faith in his face, he's on the edge of his seat! 

I know there are dangers with soy. I typically only have it when I order drinks from a shop, which isn't often. I'm feeling OK about organic and preferably non-gmo soy milk in moderation. I'm sure this smoothie would be just as yummy with a cashew milk or coconut milk.

I used a handful of ice cubes, about 12 oz of vanilla soy milk, a Tbsp of match powder, and not quite a full scoop of protein powder. Blend and enjoy! That's it!

A frothy, green, healthy drink...



You can always add your supplements into the drink as well. I plan on emptying capsules of ashwagandha, pine bark powder, and triphala now that I know I will be enjoying this drink on a regular basis.

This is more of a shake consistency than a smoothie, but adding more ice can create more of a smoothie texture.

I have some moringa powder that needs to be used. I've had a hard time finding ways to consume that as well, I don't mind the flavor, but it tends to take over. Maybe adding just a little to the drink will go well with the matcha. I'll let you know my thoughts.

All the love,

Caffeine and Freckles


No comments:

Post a Comment