Friday, January 20, 2017

Homemade Almond Mylk - My favorite with Coffee or Matcha

Probably well over a year ago, my bosom buddy, Missy told me about this fabulous and easy way to make almond mylk.  It was only a few simple ingredients blended fresh that become a frothy treat in a glass. She also turned me on to golden milk (turmeric milk) which I may have to share with you as well. It's a powerhouse of wellness.

 Why is it "mylk" and not "milk"? Good question! I'm not so sure, but I know that most of the other recipes I have toyed with are all labeled as mylk, so I followed suit. Here is the way I like to make it, three ingredients, plus water.



When I use it in my coffee, I usually fill the mug with half coffee and half almond mylk, no sugar was needed due to the dates in the mylk. It is more of a beverage than a creamer, but it will replace creamer. Lately I've been enjoying it with matcha as a green tea latte type of drink. It's also super tasty plain. You can use different variations of course, like honey instead of dates to sweeten, or leave out the cinnamon. I'm a huge cinnamon fan, I add it to my coffee grounds in the french press, I added it to golden milk today to help fight off this virus I have going on. That cup of golden goodness was like wellness in a mug. You can also swap out the almond butter for other nut butters. I have used cashew butter before and it was great, usually a little easier on the stomach than almonds tend to be.

Anyway, here is what you will need:



2-3 Medjool Dates
1-2 Tbsp Almond Butter
Cinnamon to taste
Water

I use a Magic Blender, but any type of blender will work. Keep in mind, this recipe is fit to about a 2 cup container for the Magic Bullet.

I like to remove the skin from the dates, only because they tend to not pulverize well in the Magic Bullet, which leaves you with pieces of skin floating around. It's not bad really, but can be annoying. I run the date under warm water while I massage the skin, it comes right off. I pop the seed out and put 3 dates in the blending cup.

Next add a tablespoon or two of almond butter.

I dump in some cinnamon and then fill the cup with water. More recently I have been using warm/hot water from my kettle, seems to blend better, but you can use cold water just the same.

Blend away!

That is all it takes to have a frothy drink that feels like it came from an eclectic coffee shop hand blended by a hot barista man. Seriously, you will find you enjoy things much more when you think of them creatively like this. ;-)

When I add Matcha, I add about a teaspoon and blend it in with the Magic Bullet, as matcha doesn't dissolve well when only stirred.

I made a quart size jar of of, which was two batches in the Magic Bullet. I keep it in the fridge and just warm up what I need in a small pan. This gives me several days of almond mylk to add to coffee and use for matcha lattes and golden milk. It's easy, healthy, and delicious. No refined sugars or syrups and no dairy! It will separate in the fridge, so don't be surprised when it looks like some nasty science project, just give it a little shake and you're all good.

I've always loved almond milk and cashew milk. After using this homemade method though, the store bought nut milks just do not compare.

Let me know if you try it!

All the love,

Caffeine and Freckles.

No comments:

Post a Comment