Saturday, March 1, 2014

Some things I've learned so far in my 30's


will soon be half way through my thirties. It seems there is a journey attached to each decade.  

When I was in my twenties I never thought about the fact that I was in a particular phase of life, or what there was to take from it. Although I had goals, I was not actively aware of growth. Looking back, the first half of my twenties were a self-absorbed alcohol and love drenched, wild ride. It was exciting, spontaneous, painful, sad, and joyous journey figuring out how to grow up.

I had my son at age 25. It was perfect timing in the universe. Life slowed down, became calm and took on a brand new meaning that was beaming with beauty. My life became intertwined with the life of this beautiful little peanut that was all mine. It was my job to create his childhood! Something he would look back on for the rest of his life.

The tail end of my twenties was a whirlwind of emotion and life changes all crammed into one year. I got married, I had another baby, I lost a parent, we bought a house, and I lost myself. It was the most loving, heartbreaking, and loneliest year of my life.

My thirties instantly became an open door. I was aware. I needed healing and growth. I needed to start over. We were in a new place making new memories, meeting new people, and making a life for our family. I was putting myself back together. I think we all will forever have pieces to put together, but for now I  feel more whole then I ever have, picking up pieces along the way.

Here are some fun facts that I have learned so far on my journey through thirty-hood:

1. I am enjoying my thirties more than my twenties, but in a different way.

2.  You think of your regrets often, but when they cross your mind, you feel more at peace with them.

3.  You cannot handle drinking like you did in your twenties.

4.  Sleep has become very high on the list if priorities. I do not say this as a mother. I handled less sleep in motherhood as a twenty-something just fine. It wasn't until after thirty that it really took a toll.

5.  Your back hurts.

6.  You have a deep urge to assert yourself.

7.  Friday night only means that tomorrow is Saturday.

8.  Teenagers and twenty-something's get on your nerves.

9.  Your eye for bullshit is developing nicely.

10. Your patience for bullshit is decreasing, which is frustrating, but makes you feel proud.

11. You learn that time heals, just not the way you expected.

12. You really do need 8 glasses of water a day.

13. Old friends that are still there for you and always have been are like diamonds. 

14. Making new friends is like gardening. Weeds need to be removed or they will drive you crazy. Flowers need care to blossom and brighten your life. They are the gem of the garden.

15. Alone time, (for me anyway) has become essential to my well being.

16. I roll my eyes more than I did as a teenager (this could be connected to the lower tolerance of bullshit).

Hopefully the last half of my thirties is as enlightening as the first. I'm already curious as to what the forties have in store.




No comments:

Post a Comment