Thursday, May 10, 2018

Sweet Potato Roti

I've been meaning to share this simple, delicious, versatile recipe with you all for a while. If you are looking for a wheat free or gluten free alternative to bread, tortillas, naan, or what have you, look no further!

What is roti, you ask? Roti is an Indian flat bread, usually made with a wheat flour.

Due to a wheat allergy, I have welcomed any and all bread alternatives and this one is my favorite!

I first heard of using sweet potatoes from my wonderful friend, Melissa. This is a super simple recipe, literally two ingredients.

What you will need:

1. Baked or boiled sweet potatoes, peeled. (I boiled mine and then the peel slips right off. You can always bake if you prefer.) If I bake, I bake at 400 for about 30 minutes. If you boil, just rinse them and boil for about 20 minutes and check to see if they are soft enough by piercing them with a fork. 



2. Equal parts flour to sweet potato.
(I prefer a wheat free blend I found at Costco by Namaste.).


Let your sweet potatoes cool.

Once cooled, mash your potatoes in a large mixing bowl.

Slowly add your flour and mix together, I ended up using my hands.

Form mixed dough into a log and cut into inch wide slices (or bigger if you prefer).

Scatter your surface with flour to avoid sticking and roll out your round slices.

Simply heat a few minutes on each side in a pan. I use a flat cast iron pan. You have roti!!

My favorite part is that it is freezable! I had took my round slices and froze them on a cookie sheet and then sealed them in a freezer baggie. Months later I thawed them in my refrigerator and had roti dough ready to go for a week! You may need dust with flour when you roll the thawed dough.
Heat and eat!



I have enjoyed them with savory meals, like crack slaw or chicken. I have used them as a sandwich wrap for tuna as well as peanut butter and jam. It's also a nice dessert when dusted with cinnamon and butter. My favorite so far, inspired by an apple and brie toast I had at a coffee shop, was sweet potato roti with apples, brie cheese, sliced almonds, and raspberry vinaigrette dressing. There is so much you can do with this roti!






Let me know what you think if you give it a try or if you add anything special and make it even better!

All the love,
Caffeine and Freckles

No comments:

Post a Comment