Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Spicy Curry Vegetable Soup

It's soup season (my favorite)!



I don't have many vegetable lovers in the house besides myself. Actually, there is only one other than myself. So when I make a pot of this hearty stew-like soup I end up with enough lunches for several days, plus I share some with friends. 

I make this soup quite a bit, however, it never comes out the same as I change up the ingredients a little to keep it interesting.

Last time I added lentils and chickpeas, other times I use white beans or butternut squash. Quinoa is a great addition as well as zucchini and kale. You can make it simple, or a complex variety of veggies. This is the simple version.

I use a lot of garlic! It's healthy and delicious, plus it adds to the spice. I do not measure spices, so let loose and see what happens.  I use a good amount of turmeric.  I love the color and the health benefits. Garam Masala is a strong taste, so you may want to stick with about a teaspoon. The curry is wonderful, just add it to suffice your personal preference.

Here's what went down this time...

2-3 Tbs olive oil
2-3 Tbs garlic, minced
1/2 white onion, chopped 
1 box Vegetable Broth
1 can diced tomatoes in tomato sauce
1 yellow squash, quartered and chopped 
2 handfuls baby portobello mushrooms
3 handfuls of cabbage, chopped
Turmeric
Garam Masala
Curry Powder
Black Pepper
Sea Salt
A pinch of Red Pepper Flakes
A splash of Tapatio

Chop all your veggies and open all your cans to prepare.



Heat the olive oil on medium-high heat and brown the garlic and onion until onions are translucent.

Turn heat to high and add vegetable broth, bringing to a boil.

Once boiling, add tomatoes, squash, mushrooms, and cabbage. Bring to boil again.



Add seasonings and simmer for another 5 minutes or so, just to get all the flavors linked together.

Sometimes I've added a bit of water to the broth (or more broth) when it appears too chunky. I like my soups hearty but, if you like a more soupy soup, use more broth.

The Garam Masala and Curry Powder give this soup a rich Indian style taste.  The beauty of this recipe is that you can add or change any ingredients.  You can even ditch the curry taste and go with a more plain flavor, ditching the spice, or use chicken broth instead.  If you make bone broth, this is a great place to use it!

I like the spice.  I love the chunky vegetables and the healthy spices.

Let me know if you try it. I'd love to hear what items you added or changed.

Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment