Monday, November 9, 2015

Recipe Share - Indian Style Chickpeas

I LOVE Indian food. 

I throw curry into just about anything and use turmeric whenever I can to take advantage of its many health benefits.

I threw together this quick dish of chickpeas and they turned out wonderful so I thought I would share. It was the perfect hot dish on a quiet, rainy day. I have read a few similar recipes on Pinterest and decided to add my own touch.


I cheated and used some canned items. I'm sure it would taste that much more delicious with dried chickpeas and fresh tomatoes.

This way is quick and takes just one skillet. I like using my cast iron skillet to add more iron to the food. 

1 can of chickpeas
1 can of diced tomatoes
2 Tablespoons of minced garlic
2-3 handfuls of mixed power greens
Turmeric
Garam Masala
Curry Powder
Ground Cumin
Onion Powder (because I was out of onions)
Sea Salt
Pepper



1. Heat your choice of oil in a pan. I used avocado oil. Add your chickpeas, tomatoes, and garlic. Simmer and stir occasionally until blended well. (Just a few minutes)



2. Add your seasonings. I basically did a dash of each, but went heavier on the curry and turmeric. Continue to stir and heat until most of the liquid (from canned tomatoes) is gone.

3. Add your handfuls of greens and gently push them around so that they heat. As soon as they start to wilt is when I turn my heat off, so that they do not become super wilted.

That was literally it. It was ready to enjoy. 

I was thinking cilantro and ginger would be a great addition to this dish.

You can always make a larger batch, and freeze some for another day. 

Let me know if you try it!

Enjoy!

-Caffeine and Freckled 

No comments:

Post a Comment