Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Recipe Share - Potato-Leek Soup!

This morning I made my first batch of Potato-Leek Soup to have for lunch.  I've been making soup quite a bit since Fall came around, but this was first time using leeks. 

I thought I would share this recipe, as it was super simple and delicious.  I made made mine pretty thick, but you can always add more water/broth to make it more soupy.

What you'll need:

6-8 potatoes, scrubbed and sliced
3 leeks, washed well and diced small
1/2 yellow onion
butter (for saute)
1 14oz can of evaporated milk (or regular milk)
garlic (2-3 cloves)
black pepper
red pepper
dash of curry powder

Here we go:

Chop your 1/2 onion, garlic, and 3 leeks (only using the white and light green portion of your leeks).

Saute in a few tablespoons of butter until limp and translucent.

I like to keep most of the potato peel on for a more rustic taste and texture, only peeling off the boo-boo's.  Slice your potatoes and add them to your pot.

Broth is your choice, I would suggest chicken broth or vegetable broth.  It took me about 4 cups to just cover the potatoes, but add more if you like it thinner. You can always use water and a bullion of your choice. 

Bring to a boil on medium heat, let simmer for about 10-15 minutes (or until potatoes are soft.

Using a masher, mash the soup to thicken, leaving some chunks.  Bring back to a low boil.

Add your evaporated milk (or whole milk) and bring back to a soft boil, simmering for another 5 minutes.

This is where I add my seasonings.  You can use whatever is your favorite, but I used lots of black pepper, a little red pepper, a bit of curry powder, and tiny bit of salt.

Be sure to stir during the last 5 minutes so that the milk won't scorch on the bottom.

Dish up and enjoy!

P.S.  You can always swap out a few potatoes for sweet potatoes to sweeten it up and add some extra antioxidants!  Also consider adding in some kale, spinach, or cabbage for more nutrients.  For you meat lovers, bacon would be a yummy addition too!


No comments:

Post a Comment